Friday, March 19, 2010

WooHoo Spring Break!

I typically like to record events that happened on my walk to work the day of, not the day before, but a little something from yesterday’s commute is sticking in my mind. I caught a glimpse of a small boy being led into a preschool by what looked like his mom in front and his grandmother behind. The little guy was so cute, with his baseball cap and backpack. He was talking, I think, but was too far away for me to hear. Seeing him go in the front door of the preschool made me think of a couple things. It, of course, made me think of my own children. For starters, it made me thankful—thankful that my wife decided long ago that our children would be at home (from dawn till dusk) during their very young years. It’s actually something we couldn’t have hardly done if we hadn’t moved here…to small town U.S.A.

A couple in a truck pulled up beside me this morning & asked me for directions to the ‘pain clinic.’ I had to tell them I was aware of several clinics, but not a pain one. I referred them to the pharmacist who was busy at work in the pharmacy I’d just passed. I figured if anyone would know about a pain clinic, it’d be him. Thankfully, it wasn’t just me. My coworker, who’s lived in town for decades, hadn’t heard of a pain clinic either. About a block later, I exchanged “Good mornings.” with a garbage man. The truck he was holding onto was stopped at a red light downtown, only a few feet away from the sidewalk. He said “Good morning” first. What a guy!

P.S. Picked up a used mustard thingamajig from behind the library this morning. There wasn’t much litter to choose from today, thankfully. I have a feeling the mustard was the condiment companion of the ketchup I picked up earlier in the week. Who knows?

P.P.S. As I walked home for lunch today, a couple of students (girls) drove by. Their windows were down and one of them had her head sticking out, with both hands in the air, shouting over & over, “WooHoo, Spring Break!” I’m much too reserved to do something like that, but she took the words right out of my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment