Thursday, April 29, 2010

UVs

Well, it’s time for me to make the sun-soaked walk home for lunch. The bad news is…according to the EPA, the UV Index for my town is 8, which is very high. I forgot that there might be some drawbacks to walking to (and from) work vs. being in a car (convertibles not included). And these drawbacks are potentially life-threatening. I mean, what good is enjoying birds chirping and running into old friends if you get skin cancer & die an early death in the process?

Lunchtime is, of course, the worst. Even the EPA says, “between 10:00am and 4:00pm” is the worst time for UVs. So it’s something I don’t worry about at the beginning or end of my workday. I’m somewhat prepared today, though. I happened to remember to use some sunscreen on my (bald) head and my nose. Hopefully, it’ll take my 8 UV concentration down a few pegs…to a 4 or 5. Regardless, I’ll be walking from one shady spot to another…all along the way to the house.

Wait! Good news! I just got a call from my family who’s out on the town. They’re coming to give me a ride home. The UVs will just have to wait another day. Fellow Walker Sightings (to date): 21

P.S. This morning I found a 3-inch piece of foam pipe insulation behind the library. It was probably left behind by some utility folks yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment