Friday, April 16, 2010

Hanging Out?


I got a jump on National Hanging Out Day, which is this coming Monday (April 19th). It’s a “holiday” that draws attention to energy consumption & saving some by hanging out clothes instead of using a dryer. I honored the observance by looking in just about every backyard I walked past. I took the long route this morning and saw only 3 clotheslines—one of which was our own. Since I passed about 25 houses, that means only 1 out of 8 or 9 houses could even hang out clothes (outside) if they wanted to.

Here’s a quote from the NHOD website, “For many people, hanging out clothes is therapeutic work. It is the only time during the week that some folks can slow down to feel the wind and listen to the birds.” That’s actually the exact same way I feel about my walk to work. In fact, I think I’ve used several of those key terms in this blog as I’ve tried to describe my morning commutes…therapeutic, slow, wind, and birds.

Shortly after I’d passed the last of the 3 clotheslines, I was stopped by two friends (one driving, one walking) at roughly the same time. They knew each other, too…so we all chatted, shook hands, etc. for a minute or two. It was great seeing them. It was a chance meeting that wouldn’t have happened if two of the three of us hadn’t been walking. Fellow Walker Sightings (to date): 16

P.S. I didn’t spot any glaring trash this morning. Although I did see a tiny bird trying to fly off with a not-so-tiny piece of plastic wrapper. He tried a couple of times to get off the ground with it when I interrupted him. Yesterday was the potentially controversial litter pick-up day. Just off Main Street…on a campus lawn…I saw a beer can (Natural Lite). My first inclination was to pass by…What if someone saw me carrying it & jumped to some far out conclusions? I resisted, though, picked it up and carried it to the library. I’m pretty sure I walked faster than normal, though, to limit my beer can exposure by at least a few seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment