Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Taking Notice, Part II


Weather Report: Rain!  Did not want to walk this morning.  I tried not to find an umbrella so that I'd have a legitimate reason for not walking.  I did find one, though.  Bummer.  One small part of me did want to walk, rain or shine.  After all, I had a theory to keep testing (see yesterday's post).  Do walkers notice things as they travel that drivers do not? 

First of all, it's hard to notice things (other than rain) when you're getting rained on.  The rain was steady but gentle as I left the house.  About halfway to work, though, I heard thunder...which made me think of a walker's arch nemesis: lightning!  It was a low rumble.  In fact, I may not've noticed it at all had I been driving—esp. with the radio playing.  Needless to say, I picked up the pace.  One of my top 5 fears is lightning.  I no longer cared about my wet shoes or my wet khakis.  I only cared about surviving.  Thankfully, I didn't hear thunder again 'til I reached the sidewalk behind the library.  It was sort of like a 2nd warning.  In fact, the warning was the main thing I noticed on my walk to work:  The sound of thunder doesn't typically mean, "You're about to die!"  It usually means, "You're about to get soaked!"  And let me tell you, it wasn't kidding. 

Noticing Notes:  Scary Dog, Missing Ms. Raker, Scary Weather

P.S.  McDonald's strikes again!  I picked up a McD's hash brown pocket just around the corner from the house, which means I had to carry it (in the rain) for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment